Aluminum Welding & Fabrication in the Oil & Gas Industry
In Alberta, the petrochemical industry relies on talented and professional welders for many custom projects.
Not surprisingly, Edmonton and Calgary’s welding companies also rely on the oil and natural gas industry.
But with fast and furious demands of this sector, sometimes jobs can be rushed and the workmanship becomes sloppy. Site managers need to keep tight production schedules with the assurance that the fabricated parts and weld repairs they’re getting are better than standard, even when they’re non-critical.
Here are some factors that oil and gas site managers need to be aware of when having steel or aluminum welding repairs done in the oilfield or fabricated in a Calgary or Edmonton welding plant.
Look for Versatile Skill Sets
Aluminum and steel are close competitors when it comes to durability and affordability, but aluminum welding in Alberta is now in high demand because extraction companies value its light weight. It is now considered a huge benefit to find a welding contractor that is certified to work with both metals. Not many welding companies have this dual certification, so review your tenders carefully. At Advantage Manufacturing Ltd., we pride ourselves on being certified to work with both metals and will take care in ensuring your project is completed with precision.
Get a Handle on the Kind of Welding You Need
- Shielded metal arc welding (SMAW, and also known as stick welding) is used widely in the gas and oil industry. It’s ideal for thick welds involving steel and iron.
- Gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW or TIG) is suitable for thinner steel plates and for copper, manganese and aluminum alloys.
- Gas metal arc welding (GMAW or MIG) is a fast welding method that is perfect for use with thicker pieces of metal.
- Submerged arc welding is used to fabricate or repair tanks and reservoirs, although the work has to be done horizontally.
- Oxy-fuel welding is also known as oxyacetylene or gas welding. It can be used to fuse thin metal plates.
Make sure to Choose a Company with Custom-Welding Capabilities
For prefabricated parts, make sure you choose an aluminum welding shop that can handle your order. Look for shops that can do CNC machining and custom projects built to oilfield design specifications. Here are examples of some of the aluminum and steel fabrication work we’ve done at our Edmonton-area plant:
Custom-built industrial trucks
- Modified trucks, trailers and tanks for drilling sites
- Catwalks and stairways
- All kinds of pipe systems
- Prefabricated parts and custom equipment
Prioritize Field & Workshop Flexibility
For fabrication and repairs in the field, you need a company that knows its way around high-pressure and regular pipes, drilling rigs and industrial sites. Choose a company that has a mobile repair and fabrication service so you don’t have to transport your parts.
We value our oil and gas customers, and they value our experience, skill and dual steel and aluminum welding certification. Our professional welders at Advantage Manufacturing Ltd. will ensure you receive a high-quality product with precise detail. We provide aluminum welding and fabrication services in Calgary, Edmonton and surrounding areas of Northern and Central Alberta. We also provide 24-hour call out service for urgent and emergency projects. Contact us today for a quote or more information.